Saturday, October 6, 2012

Pigeons, Skunks, Halloween, and Anchor Charts

It's safe to say at this point, all weeks are super busy. I meant blog earlier in the week, but of course I didn't. Which leads to the really random title of this post. Here's some classroom happenings from the past week.
This activity was one we did several weeks ago, but I've never shared. We read one of my favorite stories, A Pet for Petunia. This fits in perfectly for the pet unit in Reading Street. We made skunks and brainstorm animals that would make good pets. Skunks didn't make the cut of course.



We have been having a ball with our first author study: Mo Williems. I always start author studies on Mo Williems because the books are easy to read and always a class favorite. Mo makes reading fun!
We talked about character traits

I also introduced the comprehension skill, Plot, using Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. 

Please disregard the mistake at the bottom. It has since been fixed :)

We made our own pigeons to go with the plot activity.

Do you have an iPad in your classroom? We are lucky enough to have one and I downloaded the best app to go with our Mo Williems author study. It's called Don't Let the Pigeon Run this App. It's a little expensive but so neat! Mo teaches you how to draw the pigeon and you can record your own voice to use in a story! I used the app whole group to learn how to draw the pigeon by putting it under the Elmo. It worked great!

I ran up to school this morning to decorate for Halloween, among other things. I love, love, love Halloween. It's my favorite holiday!






And lastly we have been busy learning so much! Is anyone else struggling with rhyming?? This is always something I feel like my kids struggle with so I made a chart to help with this and some centers that I will share later.

We have also been talking about what good readers do!

We learned about Main Idea last week.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! :)






38 comments:

  1. Would you be willing to share your plot follow up sheet? I am starting a Mo W. unit and this would be perfect. By the way, love your anchor charts!!
    Carolyns941@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE the plot sheet as well! THANKS!!!

    monicamize1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to pin your whole post! :) I would love it if you could please share your plot follow up sheet.

    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love the plot sheet, too!

    kep58@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Question: Are all your anchor charts pre-made, or are they partially pre-made and you fill in the rest with the kids' answers together?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your classroom looks like so much fun! I have never done a Mo Willems author study and she's one of my favs. I love your ideas and your anchor charts are so eye catching!! *love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you willing to share your plot sheet? It's so cute and useful!

    gnataliemarie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you willing to share your plot sheet? It's so cute & useful! :)

    gnataliemarie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, great blog, but I don’t understand how to add your site in my rss reader. Can you Help me please? http://pigeonbasics.us

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would you be willing to share your plot sheet for Don't Let The Pigeon Drive the Bus? I love it!!!!!
    martha.thompson@rowan.kyschools.us

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love a copy of the plot sheet for Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,

    Would you mind sharing the plot sheet? It's so cute! My students loooove the pigeon books!
    cshankweiler@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love a copy of the plot sheet! amity75@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love a copy of the plot sheet. Also, do you have direction on how to make the cute skunks?
    cristinarusso@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. can I have a copy of the plot sheet? Thank you in advance :) angarza4@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Would you share your plot sheet with me? Thank you in advance! Great post! kristina_carter@catawbaschools.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would absolutely LOVE the plot sheet too! My students just love Mo Willems :) hollyochsner@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this sheet and my students love this book! Would you be willing to share?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the plot sheet as well! Can you please share? mprayoonvech@sra.mn Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love the plot sheet! Can you please share? osterl@stillwater.k12.mn.us
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love the plot sheet! Can you please share? mgreene@rgsd.k12.mo.us Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the plot sheet as well!!! Can you please share? joshanda.williams@dpsnc.net Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love the plot sheet too. Can you share it with me?? Thank you!
    jlakey@cvalley.k12.ok.us

    ReplyDelete
  24. Would you mind to share the plot sheet with me? Thanks! jlakey@cvalley.k12.ok.us

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would love to use this with my Enrichment students. We just started a unit on Mo WIllems. Would you please share? Thank you in advance. Beebarneman@ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would love the plot sheet too!!! My first year in 1st grade and this would be so helpful!!! I am Loving the anchor charts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would love the plot sheet too!!! My first year in 1st grade and this would be so helpful!!! I am Loving the anchor charts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love the plot sheet too!!! My first year in 1st grade and this would be so helpful!!! I am Loving the anchor charts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would love the plot sheet. This is my first year in 1st grade and we are starting to talk about PLOT!!!
    hking@lubbockisd.org

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would love the plot sheet as well!! We are beginning plot next week and it would be very useful!!
    jgoree@isaacschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would also love the plot sheet if you are sharing. mglanville@wccsk12.org

    ReplyDelete
  32. Has anyone gotten the plot sheet? I would love to have it to use in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love your ideas about teaching plot. I am using the same book. Are you still sharing your plot paper for Don't let the Pigeon Drive the Bus?
    campbellt@hhsd.k12.nj.us. Thank you - Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love this!! Would you please share your plot paper for Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus?

    rhuelauren@gmail.com

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I would love the plot sheet for Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. I love this!!!
    Thank You, Shelley
    shelley.warrington@barrow.k12.ga.us

    ReplyDelete
  36. I would love a copy of the plot for Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. Thank you I love this.
    Shelley
    shelley.warrington@barrow.k12.ga.us

    ReplyDelete
  37. I too would love a copy of your Dont Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus sheet. Thank you!
    tracy.mcdaniel@keysschools.com

    ReplyDelete