Monday, March 4, 2013

Math Fun, Anchor Chart, Objectives, and Centers

I haven't shared much on math this year because I haven't been the biggest fan of our new math series.  Last week I decided to start having a good attitude about and work with what we had. I am happy to say that we've had a much better math experience after this attitude change. We start out the lesson each day by using my FAVORITE purchase EVER on TpT: Cara's Calendar Companion. This little resource is wonderful and has helped my kids SO much. After we complete the daily calendar, we go back to our seats and start the lesson. After doing part of the lesson on their own, I check who understands the skill and who still needs more help. Those that need help, go to the small group table with me and those who don't, get start on their math journals. If you would like a more detailed post on my math lesson, let me know and I'll do one, complete with pictures :). After we did math groups today, we did our very first Think Math! I was so proud of how hard they worked on this. I captured the moment :)

When I create a Think Math page, I go ahead and draw the answer, but I cover it up while they're working on the problem. They have to write the problem, determine the number sentence, and illustrate the problem. 



We've started subtraction, so I used Think Math as an addition review. 

While sorting through math charts from last year, I rediscovered my money posters. You can find these in my Show Me the Money unit here.


We are learning about dinosaurs this week (Mr. Bones for all you RS teachers!)

We made predictions about what Mr. Bones will discover.


 We talked last week about surprises that can be treasures


We've learned all about ai and ay, better known in our classroom as the married couple, thanks to Babbling Abby's fabulous teaching idea found here

I redid my objectives. This was the old way I had them displayed.
I liked this way, but it took up too much space on my white board, which was already limited on space due to my Smartboard. Here's the new way:


Works so much better!

I've been collecting water bottle caps for months now. I finally had enough to create this center.




Hope everyone had a fabulous Monday! :)










11 comments:

  1. I would love to learn more about your math lesson complete with pictures! Thanks in advance for sharing your great work and teaching ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the middle of collecting bottle caps as well! :) Love that you added blends to them. I use and love Thinking Math time, too!!

    Kelly
    Beg, Borrow, Steal

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to a detailed math time explanation! I'm trying to figure out a way to do math groups! Also, how long to you have each day for math?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a fellow RS teacher, I'd love if you'd share a file with your language arts objectives! :) THANKS!

    monicamize1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love a detail description of your math lesson. I want to use the math journals more.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gah, I love everything on this page!! I am coming back after school to read more. Thanks for the wonderful ideas :)
    Liz
    Teaching in the Valley

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would LOVE to hear more about the water bottle caps!! I have PILES and I am a little unsure of where to start w/ my K students!! Any super ideas would be GREAT!! Thanks!!

    Sarah
    shetrick@gmail.com

    PS I dont like our math either, but in the years I have found ways to "make" it work for everyone! It takes a bit -- I am glad you made it to the otherside!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to see a detail description of your math lesson! Love your anchor charts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for posting this!!! I would love to see a detailed description of your math. I love how you make everything fun and engaging. :) Please share what (and how) you do it.

    Thanks SO much!
    busybutluvnit@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! The pictures are great! I'm fairly new to the blogging world but would love for you to check out my page too. We do a lot of cool math stuff and I will be posting some new pics this weekend! It looks like your classroom is an amazing place to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just started go math this year and I'm really having trouble with the flow of the lesson. I would love to hear more about your math time.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete