Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Shake it up! Dollar Tree Style

If you haven't scoured the aisles of the Dollar Tree lately, you need to now! Easter is the best time to find things to create centers with and these little clear eggs are a GREAT find.
I put two dice in each one. My kids worked with partners to shake the egg, create an addition sentence using the two numbers they rolled and determine the sum. They LOVED this and begged me to keep playing. I finally had to tell them we would start doing the center everyday during math. You would be amazed how motivated they were and how much fun they had. Happy teacher right here! :D




Just a quick little post to share with y'all. I'm off to watch the spring finale of Pretty Little Liars! 

17 comments:

  1. I stopped real quick by the Dollar Tree tonight, but the hubs kept me away from the Easter section. I'm itching to go back without him!

    Natalie
    Teachery Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great idea! I will be heading to Dollar Tree after work tomorrow! Wish I had read this sooner...it would have been today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kids will love them! I videoed a group working and it's so funny to hear all the background noise of the dice rattling. It's a noisy center, but a great one!

      Delete
  3. OMG Those are so stinkin' cute!!! I have to make my way in there soon! (And I didn't realize this was the spring finale of PLL.... The show kills me!!!!)
    Gina
    Third Grade Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I can't wait for PLL to return in June! My favorite time to watch is in the summer :) :)

      Delete
  4. So cute! Don't you just love how those types of things get kids so excited to do math! Great idea. :)
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I couldn't believe how excited they were about addition. FINALLY! :) :)

      Delete
  5. I have my dice in small plastic container, but the clear animal shaped eggs would be so much more fun! Thanks for the idea!

    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Very festive! I like to stock up on plastic containers too though. Target has some cute ones! :)

      Delete
  6. I picked these up too. They are so cute. I use the little foam dice inside. Thank you for sharing.
    Tammy
    Primary Paradise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need some foam ones! It definitely got noisy but at least they were engaged! :)

      Delete
  7. I am so going to find these today!!!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! I love the dollar tree! Thanks for sharing! We are your newest followers!
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete