Saturday, February 18, 2012

Last Week in Pictures (Plus Pirate /ar/ activities!)

First off, sorry to everyone who has emailed or commented here lately. My week was beyond crazy so I didn't have a lot of time for blogging. I've also become addicted to a new TV show that I've been trying to pull myself away from. :) Did anyone else see the new Revenge episode Wednesday night where we finally got to see who was shot at the White Party???
 To the first three who commented on my Math Madness post, I promise I'll email them to you today! To those who have commented or emailed to ask about a Dr. Seuss unit, I'm working on it now and *hope* to have it up by Monday. I didn't realize Dr. Seuss week was week after next. Can y'all believe that?? My kids are starting to get his books for AR and they are getting sooo excited about Read Across America Week. 
This week, we talked a lot of presidents. I wasn't sure how much this would interest my kids, but they loved it! I think it was one of their favorite topics so far. 
We made hats for our door:

Side note: I did the same thing with Cat in the Hat hats for my door last year and thought it turned out really cute.  Check it out here.
We also made George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. I had planned on making a President Obama, but we ran out of time. 


You can find the facts sheet and bubble maps in my President's Day here.

 I also started doing something different for our  "A to Z sounds" board. I use to just put the name of the sounds we had covered like Long a or /th/, but I realized that was just a waste of space since it didn't have any words that contained those sounds. Everyday, we make charts for our weekly sounds on our smartboard, so I started copying those charts onto paper and displaying them on this board. It has worked out sooo much better and now the kids can actually look to the board to see examples of those words. Here's a few of the charts:







And lastly (sorry, I know this is a really long post!) my kids need a little extra help with the /ar/ sound. I've created a ARRR!!! Pirate mini unit that we will be doing next week at Word Work. You can get it here. It's a short packet, so it's cheap! :) 

Reading Street Teachers- we've been busy with so much other stuff in my classroom, that we haven't had much time for extra stuff in our reading series. So if you've noticed a lack of "extras" for the last few stories in Unit 3, that's why. Plus, Unit 3 is my least favorite unit. The good news is Unit 4 is my favorite, so I'll start posting more fun things for each story. We're on Mama's Birthday Present next week, complete with a fiesta on Friday! :)
Unit 4 Questions of the day will be uploaded soon!

17 comments:

  1. Such cute ideas :)


    kimberlycollatos@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "A to Z Sounds"! Might have to borrow that idea!

    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the word wall! Such a new creative idea to spice it up!

    -Ms. Thomas

    The First Grade Jungle

    ReplyDelete
  4. The A to Z bulletin board is such a great resource!I LOVE, LOVE those colors!


    Laura
    llmartin305@gmail.com
    Peace, Love, and First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute and creative!

    First Grade in the Yellow Hallway
    lesliebudgell@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love word study so everything about this post is cute and wonderful!

    Thank you for sharing!

    I would love for you to come visit me when you get the chance! Ihave TONS and TONS of *freebies*!

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love the word wall! So colorful and engaging!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am pinning ideas from this post like crazy! Thank you for sharing your week in pictures. =)

    Mrs Poland
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of the sound board. Thanks for sharing.

    2B Honey Bunch
    The Best Endings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you have a station for ai and ay?

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE the word walls!!


    Go check out my new blog please!

    http://teacherstreasurechest.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. love those little uncle sam hats.. I am trying to figure out what needs to go on my door!!!

    Can you please tell me how you do those character maps on your smartboard?? I need some basic/easy things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute hats and love the Abe Lincolns!

    ReplyDelete
  14. GIRL! I L-O-V-E THIS! I am totally going to be working on this immediately! Thanks so much for the inspiration. You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love the sound board...you're an inspiration :)

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those hats, and your sounds board too!!
    ❤Teri

    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete