Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Book Club Reading Packets (Also available on TpT!)

This week, I started something new in my buddy reading center. I call it "Ms. Leslie Ann's Book Club" and it's modeled after Oprah's Book Club. Each day, I pick one group to go to book club for the day. This means that they do not rotate to different centers during the reading block. They spend the entire morning in the Book Club, with the exception of meeting with me for small group time. I set up a book club meeting area on our back rug. I have started creating a board beside it and when I get it finished I will upload pics. We've done this all week and I'm so pleased with how it's gone. The kids LOVE it! They have all been begging to be picked for it and they do really well at it. Friday, we are going to have our first interview in which several of my students will pretend to be Laura Numeroff and certain characters from the books and I will interview them like Oprah does. We are really excited about this :)
This week, my chosen books are the Laura Numeroff books like If You Give A Moose A Muffin, If You Take a Mouse to the Movies, and If You Take a Mouse to School. My kids are having problems with sequencing, so these books are helpful.
I have made what I call 'book club packets' These include comprehension questions, story maps, venn diagram, story starters, and more. These are available on Teachers Pay Teachers. Even if you don't use them for a book club, they would be good for mini units on the books.
I originally made these for my kids to practice for their A.R. (Accelerated Reader) tests and I can already tell a big difference. I will start adding more comprehension questions to the packets since that seemed to help the most.
Sorry for a post without pics. I hate those...I'll upload pics of our Book Club when the board if finished.
Thanks again to all who have purchased from me on Teachers Pay Teachers! :)
Teachers Pay Teachers: Book Club Packets link

0 comments:

Post a Comment