Sunday, February 20, 2011

Vowel People!

Last week, our phonics skill was /ai/ and /ay/. I was tickled pink when I saw a chart for this skill on Babbling Abby's teacher blog The Inspired Apple. She made the cutest 'ai' and 'ay' people, along with a memorable story to help inforce the sound. I made my own 'vowel people" and told my kids the story of the old married couple. They loved it! One of my kids even randomly raised his hand in the middle of a math lesson and said, "Hey Ms. Leslie Ann, I have the married couple in my name!"(meaning 'ai') :) Here's my vowel people for 'ai' and 'ay'
Since our phonics skill this week is /ea/, I made a helper chart for these two vowels, along with the song from Starfall. If you haven't seen it, you must check it out here! I show this video to my kids when I introduce this new sound and it really helps.
Thanks for the great idea, Babbling Abby! :)

8 comments:

  1. We're doing ea and ee this week. Thanks for sharing! And my kids know by heart "the two vowels go a walking" saying.=)

    fisforfirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing!! I was looking for something to help my kiddos who are in the long vowel patterns stage.
    - Suzanne
    www.talesfromthelime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the poster! I assume you teach from treasures?? We are on the same sound this week too!

    Ms. Thomas
    thefirstgradejungle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this...My students are having some difficulties with this and tomorrow I am spending the day making posters! I am also awarding you the Stylish Blogger Award. Follow the link below and post about the award and give to other amazing bloggers like yourself.

    http://ashleysamarin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! Thanks for sharing. Going to try to use it this week and I've already emailed a link to your blog to a friend across the hall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful! I award you the stylish blogger award...I love your ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANK YOU!! We are also embarking on learning about bossy vowels. I showed my 1st grader the video and he loved it and the interaction. It's just what I have been looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing!!! Love these ideas!

    ReplyDelete