Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Johnny Appleseed week and a few Halloween things..

I must confess...I'm more than ready for Halloween. And so are my kids. I'm trying really hard to wait until this weekend to start decorating the classroom for my favorite holiday, so I decided this week we would learn all about apples and Johnny Appleseed. We're having fun with this, but I may have started sneaking in a couple of witches and black cats :) Here's some apple learning that we've been doing...and a few Halloween things :)



Aren't these caramel apples fun?? We made these and then had real caramel apples for a treat at snack.

Since we were talking a lot about Johnny Appleseed, I used this as an opportunity to introduce the genre of Tall Tales. We used this chart to help remember what tall tales are and what they must have in them. 

We also measured how tall we were in apples and graphed it, but I forgot to take a pic of it!

Switching gears...we started the comprehension skill Cause and Effect this week. This has always been a hard skill for my kids, but this group seems to understand it pretty well. Here's our helper chart we've been using:


Is anyone else having trouble teaching comparing number values?? My kids can order numbers great, but are really struggling with telling me which is greater or less. I made this center game to help. I'm working on a packet of Halloween themed math centers so hopefully it will be ready soon. This will be included in it :)

Oh my goodness gracious! These clip art fry phrases are a HUGE hit in my classroom. So far, we've worked on Aliens and Forest Friends. We've learned around 40 already. Today I introduced Trick or Treaters. They are loving them! We go over each one everyday at small group. Then at the end of the day if we have time, we play "Boys v. Girls" The kids form two lines (boys and girls) and I show a phrase on the Elmo. The first boy and girl compete against each other to see who can say the phrase first. They get so excited playing this and they have no idea they're practicing Fry Phrases. We had to stop the game today because they called for car riders and my kids actually asked to stay and keep the game going instead of leaving. Isn't that nice to hear?? :) :) I love when my kids are loving school! :)




15 comments:

  1. I loooove the caramel apples!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your halloween unit looks great!


    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you make the cute fry phrases and where can I find them? Thanks!

    Run529@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering about the fry phrases too...they look like an awesome tool!

    ashleemccormick@ymail.com
    Ashlee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want the Fry phrases too!You have some great ideas, thanks for sharing!

    Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I stumbled upon your blog through pinterest! I would love that printable of the witches! I seriously LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love the fry phrases, what a great "time filler!!!' I love when the kiddo's are learning without knowing they are learning! :)
    Kristine
    kristine.harrison@mnps.org

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would LOVE the fry phrases and directions on how you made the candy apples, too. The apples are ADORABLE! Thanks for sharing!

    Susie
    susie.thornburg@gmail.net
    www.crafty-bug-susie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I think it's official... we all want your awesome fry phrases!! Where did you get the clip art for them??

    Katie
    http://teachymarie.blogspot.com/
    kme001@mac.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love your Fry phrases also. Where can I get them?
    Marianne
    mmmartin25@hotmail.vom

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where can I get your fry phrases? Are they on TPT? I also love the witches. The one with the greater numbers! Thanks!
    Julie
    jestill5@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am IN LOVE with your anchor charts! You are my inspiration! I used these anchor charts for our Johnny Appleseed Day with my little firsties! I mentioned how fabulous you are so hop on over and take a peek!
    Thanks so much!
    Julie

    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am obsessed with those fry phrases. I have no idea how to use clip art from the computer, and our district's computer system is running horribly this year, so this is not the time to learn. I would happily pay for these!!! PLEASE!!!??? Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your blog is the best! the best apple unit i have ever seen! you are over-the-top creative!
    i can't stop staring at your fun photos! thank you thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy your blog. I think it's one of the best. Your anchor charts are so creative, they hooked me! Keep on producing those great ideas!

    ReplyDelete