Friday, July 8, 2011

Don't You Just Love Children's Books?...and Pinterest!

One of my most favorite places on Earth is Barnes and Noble. Honestly. I could spend hours upon hours in that store. Visits become even longer when I wander over to the children's section, like I did today. I went with the intention of only purchasing ONE book of poetry for children. but ended up with just a couple more goodies. 

Hooray for Amanda and Her Alligator by the one and only Mo Willems
I consider it an accomplishment that I didn't go out and buy this book the day it came out. Mo Willems has to be my favorite children's author. The story is so precious. It reminds me of my little dog, Reese and how she hates when I leave like the alligator does with Amanda. Super sweet story!

Twenty-six Princesses by Dave Horowitz
This book is perfect for teaching the alphabet and rhyming. There's a princess for each letter like "Princess Alice, who is first to the palace" and "Princess Betty, still getting ready" Cute story and the illustrations are really colorful and funny.

Kids Pick the Funniest Poems 
This was my original reason for the BN trip. This book looks like it has a ton of funny poems for kids.

A Children's Treasury of Poems
This one has the cutest illustrations and some really good poems about animals.

While we're on the subject of children's poetry, anybody have any suggestions on where to find any?? I want short poems that rhyme and are fun to read and interesting to the kids. Where can I find such???

And onto a completely different topic...Pinterest! How many of you absolutely love this site? Isn't it fabulous!! The wonderful and creative Cara at First Grade Parade was kind enough to send me an invite and I've been pinning ever since! Click here to see my boards and follow me. If anyone needs an invite, let me know! I have no idea how to invite people, but I'm sure I can figure it out! lol :)

Hope everyone's enjoying their summer! I know Reese is! She loves having me home :)

7 comments:

  1. I have the very same problem! I LOVE B&N! I always end up spending like $50! I could spend hours there. If there were ever a tornado in Austin I hope I would get stuck and B&N.....except I would spend my entire paycheck by the end of the whole ordeal!

    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Barnes and Nobles. I will often meet a friend there for coffee - usually once a week. I will bring a pile of books to my seat and enjoy! I have put myself on a spending freeze for the time being because I have so many kids book! It's an occupational hazard! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your adorable blog:) I am now a follower:)


    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also newly addicted to pinterest!! If you want to invite friends, there's a button in the upper right hand corner. You can follow me on there too!! If you want. . .
    http://pinterest.com/jenniferbmiller/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leslie!
    I use a lot of jump rope rhymes/chants when I'm in need of a rhyming something or another. Just google it! My first grade friends find them highly amusing.

    Leslie (as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is it about books?!? I'm suffering from that same weakness-it is sooo addicting. My collection has grown to over 2000 childrens books! Yikes! My first graders absolutely fell in love with the book Aliens Love Underpants-so cute!
    First Grade Fever

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love browsing there too! And then, after I look over the children's books, I have to check out the magazines, then the craft books, it just goes on and on! :-)

    ReplyDelete